At last it’s here … the Booty-Making *Gem* Home Workout!
But first a little self-indulgence, as I tell you a story about my butt.
I love it! ~ The end!
Just kidding – that is the ending alright (loving my booty), but what about at the start? I always liked my butt, it was a nice shape, but it wasn’t a great butt. Four main things have made it a GREAT butt:
- Glute Activation – making sure that the muscles are actually working!
- The right exercises with progressive overload (I got stronger at the best butt exercises)
- Conditioning – giving me a healthy body composition
- And, a healthier body image – not perfect, but I am learning to love my body.
Here is a picture from 2 years ago when I just started doing my home workouts. I have no other pictures to use as an example of what my butt used to look like. Back then my fitness goal was “get leaner” … Yet, I don’t think my body composition has changed drastically and is probably much the same from the first to the last picture here – My guess is that it has stayed in and around 20%. I never get it tested, but I might have made it as low as 18% at points. It doesn’t really matter, what matters is the hypertrophy and the strength gains.
Next is a picture taken in April last year – what a difference! What changed? I learned a lot about the importance of glute training and about strength training! I was really starting to see that training for strength was the way to go. And my body even LOOKS better as a result! WIN WIN 🙂
The final picture was taken yesterday (and is now my profile picture on Facebook – lol). It’s not just about a better shape; stronger glutes have carry-overs to helping improve performance in every walk of life. I think the difference in 2 years is quite impressive!
While, it’s not purely about looks, measurements, or even strength, it’s just nice to know that effort matters.
ANYWAY … on with the workout breakdown.
First, as part of your warm up, here is a Hip Flexor stretch and Glute Activation Drill to help “open” the hips and fire up the glute muscles – which is essential to getting the most out of the workout.
Next, the Workout
There are two sections to this one. But you don’t have to do both today. I only want to show that the conditioning side of your training (in this interval style) is great for over all fitness, and improving Body Composition.
For this section there are 4 couplets. The first exercise of the couplet is based on a set rep-range followed by a set timed exercise. So you will need to set your Gymboss Interval Timer for 1 interval of 30 seconds. Complete 3 rounds of each couplet before moving on.
Remember that you need to get good at the exercises first BEFORE increasing the weight. So for those people new to any of these exercises, use body weight only, a lighter weight, or an easier variation.
- Deep Bulgarian Split Squat (right and left leg) x 8 – 15 reps
- Two-Handed Kettlebell Swing x 30 seconds
- High Deficit Reverse Lunge (right then left) x 8 – 15 reps
- X-Band Walks x 30 seconds (if you don’t have a band then you can do the same movement lying on your side. Lift the leg up. Do 20 – 30 seconds each side)
- Single-Leg Deadlifts (right then left) x 8 – 15 reps
- Lunge Jumps x 30 seconds – eek!
- Single-Leg Hip Thrusts (right then left) x 8 – 15 reps – Remember to check out the Progression Tutorial for this.
- Alternating KB Swing x 30 seconds
Section 2 – Conditioning
Now the pace increases even further. Re-set your Gymboss Interval Timer for 15 cycles of 15 seconds rest and 45 seconds effort. Complete 3 rounds of the following 5 exercises:
- Weighted/Un-weighted Evil Jumps – sorry :/
- KB Vertical Swing/Pull Burpee
- Stand-Kneel-Stand (right)
- Stand-Kneel-Stand (left)
- Renegade Rows
And there you have it, a killer workout for buns of steel 🙂 These exercises are not the only ones for getting your butt into shape, but these are great for people who need to get more out of their home training as each exercise is single leg, making the weight you use more of a challenge.
Having Strong, Shapely Glutes not only makes you feel sexier, it really does help with your everyday life. For that reason, Glute Training is a huge part of my life.
Thanks for reading. And feel free to share 🙂
PS – Come and join my free Facebook community: https://facebook.com/group/fitnessafterlifehappened
Get My Go-to Glute Workout
Enter your name and email below to get your free copy of my glute blast workout.