Firstly, you’ll never guess what happened when I was filming this today … the Camera and tripod blew over and the viewing screen broke 🙁 Can’t believe this! Luckily the workout still recorded, but I was unable to get a new still picture … hope it’s easy to fix! Grr
The other day I told you about a list that Bret Contreras made of 13 “Beautiful Badasses” that work for Strength and Performance, as we all do here. As a result of this list I am lucky enough to be in contact with some of these amazing women. We are hoping to plan big things for the future, so watch this space.
In the spirit of spreading the word and making friends I want to share their great websites or posts for you to visit, as I believe each one of us has something to bring to the table:
- Nia Shanks (the lady we can thank for the “Beautiful Badass” name)
- Elsbeth Vaino – Blog and Fitness Forum
- Alli McKee (who we already know)
- Rachel Guy
- Jen Grasso
- Kellie Davis (who we also know and love)
- Neghar Fonooni (fellow Kettlebelle)
- Molly Galbraith
- Jen Comas Keck
At this point I would like to ask my readers to share any other great sites to add to the list 🙂
Now back to business. Emma set me a workout for the “Challenge Me” series and it was an excellently designed strength workout, with just enough cardio to make you sweat. I only changed a couple of things, just because I was wanting to either progress or regress certain exercises for my own goals (and I was also working around some shoulder DOMS from my push up practice).
Perform each couplet twice and then move on to the “bridging exercise” before starting the next couplet. You will need your stopwatch or your Gymboss Interval Timer. Working within a set rep range you should be looking to increase use a heavier weight when possible. The second exercise in each couplet is more cardio-based, so that is set by time:
- KB Clean and Press x 8 – 12 reps (right and left) – I used 16 kg for both rounds and did 9 reps each round
- Skipping x 1 min
- Double KB Bent Over Row x 8 – 12 reps (I used 2 x 16kg and performed 12 reps)
- Double KB Bulgarian Squat x 8 – 12 reps (right and left) – I used 2 x 14 kg both rounds and got 8 reps then 6 reps
- Elevated Plank Climber x 1 min (28, 24)
- Pull Ups x 5 reps (these were hard today)
- Double KB Single-Leg Deadlift x 8 – 12 reps (right and left) – I used 2 x 20kg both rounds and did 10 reps then 8 reps.
- Mountain Climbers x 1 min (I hate these – didn’t count, torture!)
- Double KB Bent Over Row x 8 – 12 reps (I used 2 x 16kg and performed 10 reps)
- Double KB Windmill x 8 – 12 reps (right and left) – I started the Doubles with 2 x 14kg and did 6 reps, then changed to 1 x 16kg and completed a further 6 reps in round 1. Round 2, I did 10 reps with 1 x 16kg.
- KB Alternating Swing x 1 min (16kg – 33, 30)
- Pull Ups x 4
Great workout Emma, thank you very much for this challenge – those Bulgarians were tough!
Hope you all enjoy this one too.
Until next time, ENJOY!