For something new to try, I thought I would take on a challenge and complete a workout aimed at men. I realise it was only aimed at men because it was in Men’s Health Magazine, and the name targets men too so I reckoned this could be the challenge I was after … and it was.
What makes this workout so difficult is that you are working for 60 seconds and then you rest for only 15 seconds. Every single one of the 10 exercises is brutal after that length of time. The first few reps I wished I had brought my 16kg KB out, but after about 45 seconds I changed my mind LOL However some of the exercises would benefit from having the option of a heavier KB for at least some of the reps – just a tip 🙂 Next time I’ll try my 16kg for sure.
Setting my Gymboss Interval Timer for 10 cycles of 15 seconds rest and 1 minute effort, I completed 3 rounds of the following 10 exercises (my reps per round etc are in brackets) :
- KB Goblet Squats ( 29 – 29 – 27 )
- Mountain Climbers ( 82 – 75 – 78 )
- Single Arm KB Swings (switching half way) ( R: 31, L: 30 – 30, 30 – 29, 27 )
- T – Push Ups ( 22 – 20 – 18 )
- Lunge Jumps ( 27 – 22 – 23 ) – these kill me every time lol
- Bent Over KB Rows ( 25 – 23 – 24 )
- Side Lunge Touch (3rd round with KB) ( 21 – 22 – 16 )
- KB Renegade Rows ( 20 – 21 – 18 )
- KB Forward Lunge and Rotation ( 16 – 15 – 13 )
- Double KB Push Press ( 24 – 21 – 17 ) – shoulders died 🙁
This workout is excellent for everything really, it targets strength, cardiovascular fitness, endurance, fat burning, never mind a real sense of achievement. I have a real buzz about me now. Each and every one of the exercises was a challenge, not because the exercise was difficult on it’s own, but when combined with 60 seconds effort, 15 seconds rest and 3 rounds, you really deserve a shower at the end.
Give this a go and see how you get on. Oh and FYI – what I meant at the end was Spartiates aka inhabitants of Sparta LOL